Don’t you know that the triggers we experience in childhood are factors blocking our weight loss?
Medical studies show that whatever stress or emotional issues we deal with early on in life will become medical problems later in life.
The mind and body will create a shield to shut out all the pain by eating them away with food.
That’s what often happens than what we care to know about.
Do you want to mask it forever with false cures, or do you want that peace and freedom for the rest of your life?
Dr. Franchell Hamilton’s years of education started at the University of Houston Honors College, where she received her bachelor’s degree in Psychology and Chemistry, summa cum laude. She further pursued her education in Lyon, France, where she completed graduate studies in biochemical engineering. It was not until the chance encounter with an orthopedic surgeon that Dr. Hamilton’s future began to take shape. Upon hearing that Dr. Hamilton was unsure of what to do with her future, he encouraged her to pursue a career in medicine.
In just this brief interaction with a stranger, a new path was formed. The impact of his words inspired Dr. Hamilton to also change the lives of those she meets through practicing medicine, and eventually, consulting. And so, she continued her education at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio to earn her doctorate in medicine. She then attended Eastern Virginia Medical School to complete her residency, and ultimately her fellowship at the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston. The bariatric surgeon she was studying under demonstrated the large impact weight loss alone can have on a person’s health. This realization led her to refine the scope of her medical career by focusing on weight loss and wellness. After completing her bariatric fellowship in 2013, Dr. Hamilton did just that. She founded A Better Weigh Center – a place for her patients to receive treatments ranging from bariatric surgery and medical weight loss to hormone therapy.
In this episode, Dr. Franchell shares how mindset is essential in any patient’s weight loss journey as it impacts the way you deal with pain and stress. If your emotions are not stabilized and dealt with firsthand, you will always go back to how you used to be.
You can have the surgery now, but the littlest of triggers will make you spiral back to food obsession if you don’t feel safe in your thoughts and emotions. And the same problem keeps presenting itself with no permanent solution.
There is a huge emotional factor after surgery. Relationships also play a big part in this. And when these things are all being addressed first, even that alone can help you lose weight.
And Hypnosis is all about that mindset work – working on your emotional mastery, not just giving you a temporary solution but one of lasting transformation.
“I always empower my patients as we can; if you want surgery, we have to go through this mindset stuff first. If you don’t, and then who knows? At the end of four months, three months, you may not need surgery. So, I often leave it up to them. I’ve had people who were on the surgery track and did so well that they didn’t need surgery, and even my surgery patients, they do better and keep it off permanently.”
– Dr. Franchell Hamilton
What you will learn from today’s episode:
- 00:53 – The reason that got her into becoming a weight loss surgeon
- 08:29 – How did the mindset that comes with permanent weight loss come in?
- 12:58 – Revamping the way she deals with patients’ weight loss and sharing what the process looks like
- 16:38 – Ways to help you deal with all the past trauma, feeling safe, and with no fear of judgment
- 19:35 – When does she suggest when to just work on the mindset or else do both, work on the mindset and surgery next
- 23:02 – Sharing the possibility of losing a 100-pound weight with mindset alone and no surgery
- 27:20 – What role your support system plays when deciding to go on bariatric surgery
- 30:37 – A big undertaking that you have to expect and be prepared for when doing bariatric surgery
- 31:39 – Talking about what her book is all about: Transformation Is A Mindset: The Journey to Changing Your Input and Your World
- 32:15 – Sharing about an app of which she is the medical director that helps create better habits, be more positive, and be more grateful: Fresh Tri
Connect with Dr. Franchell Hamilton:
Connect With Leslie Thornton: