What would it be like to live knowing your days are numbered? Would you take action doing something that would make the most out of your remaining days? Or will you let the days slip by and get resigned to your fate?
It’s easy to get carried away with the thought that you’re the unluckiest among all others. And that of all people, you were the one chosen. Not to mention, you’ve been taking care of yourself the best way you can, yet, it happened to you. That’s not an easy thought to live, to begin with.
We are reminded that often, we live life on ‘someday’, ‘one day.’ Until something happens, do we realize we’ve never lived life to its fullest.
When that happens, how do we approach one of the most challenging times in one’s life?
Johanna White is an award-winning graphic designer and visual branding strategist who designs premium brand identities that create impactful first impressions.
As the founder of Design By Jo Studio, she believes that if someone is the best at what they do, they deserve to look like it! For the past decade, she’s worked with individuals, startups and Fortune 200 brands worldwide, helping them to attract more raving fan clients than they know what to do with, and be as delightfully expensive as they deserve to be.
In this episode, Johanna reminds us there is no certainty in this life. Nothing can prepare you for any painful surprise. We try to be and act safe as we can. Nothing wrong with that. But the reason why we do that is the fear of the possibility of what we become. That entails massive work. And that’s where we become defenseless thinking of it.
With what she went through, she shares with us the lessons of confronting your fear. Not until death stares at our faces do we realize we have not done enough to conquer our fears and reach our fullest potential. The only way to combat it is to learn to find joy in what you do, not focus on the fear. Instead, channel your energy on something that will help you catch the brighter side of things.
Fear will not get you anywhere; it’s always there. Even how much she thinks of her dire situation, nothing would change if it’s really meant to be, but how you look at things would change. It’s about finding your real why and changing your motivation. Also, growing and strengthening your faith will get you through. And that’s how you elevate yourself beyond your fears.
“What’s happened in my journey to this point is that it was a combination of massive action, not just believing something. What you believe matters. But what you do about what you believe matters way more.”
~ Johanna White
What you will learn from this episode:
- 04:02 – Who was Johanna White before the life-threatening diagnosis and what was it like living a life with brain tumor cancer
- 10:34 – The push she needed to act on things with urgency
- 17:46 – Learning and working on the mindset stuff
- 19:10 – Doing something and acting on what you say you believe
- 24:04 – Things she did to overpower the fear
- 27:43 – Understanding the reason behind her fears [finding the antidote to fear and anxiety]
- 32:39 – Belief matters; but action matters way more [and surrender also makes sense]
- 37:18 – Healed because of her unstoppability to believe so despite the big odds
- 39:57 – Getting it all away from surgery and how her faith played a role in this [becoming a walking and talking miracle]
- 43:44 – Finding your why and changing your motivations [what it will come down to]
- 47:43 – Realizations from her situation and where those things bring her
- 50:20 – Dreading her birthday only to look forward to it [dreading aging who can relate]
- 54:59 – How you can reach Johanna and be inspired by her
- 58:59 – What if you start and you fail?
Connect with Johanna White:
Connect With Leslie Thornton: